Skip to content
- Worked with React, mobx (similar tool to Redux) to write widget interfacing with RESTFUL API.
- Use mocha, chai, and enzyme for units tests; have also used jasmine
- Have been hand coding HTML and CSS to web standards for over 10 years; using SASS for CSS
- Ensure cross-browser compatibility for mobile (Android Chrome, iOS Safari) and desktop browsers — Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer 11
- Worked on a Single Page Application (SPA) using backbone.js for over 3 years to consume multiple APIs
- Coding in Ruby on Rails for 4 years, including testing with rspec and capybara
- Fluent in Linux and Mac OS X command line interfaces (CLI)
- Focus on progressive enhancement and responsive design
- Build for white hat SEO, making use of title tags, structural HTML, copy, and keyword-based filenames using clean URLs
- Optimize web sites using gzip, CSS sprites, object oriented CSS (OOCSS), and minification
- Write MySQL 5 and ActiveRecord.
- Written in PHP5 with and without various frameworks (CodeIgniter, YII, etc)
- Code with accessibility issues, with ADA and ARIA in mind
- Have worked with Agile and Scrum for over 4 years
- Used Rally (CA Agile), Jira, Trello, Zendesk, and Pivotal Tracker project management tools
- Writing skills: web copy-writing; explaining technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Write professional email
Software Developer at NBCUniversal Media, LLC (01/2018 — current)
- Add new functionality to Mediator, a media asset management tool used to facilitate global distribution of NBCUniversal’s vast content library to multiple licensees such as iTunes, Amazon Video, and Hulu.
- Use Clickup and Jira to work in an Agile workflow, using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFE) method.
Optum Technologies. Web Developer. (05/2017 — 12/2017 )
- Work on new secure messaging widget written in React to allow HIPAA-compliant information sharing between medical professionals and patients
- Work on existing Ruby on Rails API site, multi-tenant Rails/Backbone messaging site, which uses SSO to authenticate various clients
- Create custom Jenkins job allowing individual spec files to be run
- Tools: Rally (CA Agile) system, Flowdeck, git, Rubymine, Jenkins (continuous integration server)
Commerce Kitchen. Senior Web Engineer. (08/2012 — 05/2017)
- Worked on several Ruby on Rails and PHP sites, including the official site for a large Colorado transportation company.
- Agile workflow, including standups, IPMs, retros, and other Agile ceremonies
- Used Pivotal Tracker, Trello, Zendesk and Jira project management tools
- Interfaced with a third-party QA person, including acceptance testing and regression testing
- Ruby on Rails skills used:
- Upgraded a site from Rails 3 to Rails 4, including tests
- Used a setup with 3 separate servers: staging, integration, and production, and a git workflow to go with those
- Worked with capistrano including custom tasks
- Used rspec, including gems shoulda_matchers, database_cleaner, seedbank, capybara, and factory_girl to write over 1000 tests for 95% test coverage for one site, including model, controller, and feature tests
- Added parallel_tests gem to increase the test speed of a large test suite by 40%
- Added rack-rewrite gem to handle client request for SEO canonical URLs
- Use common Rails gems such as devise, cancancan, rolify, paperclip, ckeditor
- Worked on various features for a custom CMS, including user-defined forwards, and hybrid Rails/CMS pages
- Implemented custom layout and functionality for corporate branches
- Provided tools in the CMS for multiple branches to update the main corporate branding website so each could update their own branch’s contact information
- Worked on XML feed directly interfacing with SalesForce to syndicate product information to 3 different sites (each with their own XSD)
- Used new_relic tracking to help improve performance
- Used backbone.js Single Page Architecture (SPA) to interface with a SalesForce Apex API, which returns JSON to power product results and detail pages
- Performed acceptance testing on 8 different JSON APIs with 3 different developers, including multiple rounds, diagnosing issues with stage and live servers
- HTML5/CSS3 skills used:
- Used handwritten HTML5 to power sites, including semantic elements, SEO-friendly headline structure, HTML audio and video
- Hand-wrote CSS3 (using SASS) to power websites.
- Optimized CSS size on a site to under 40Kb (compressed) to improve first render time and overall speed
- Have begun using CSS flexbox for layout, looking forward to using CSS Grid, just released this month (March 2017) by Chrome and Firefox with Safari support coming soon
- Have been getting up to speed on CSS Grid behind browser flags recently
- Used Object-Oriented CSS approach to improve modularity and reuse, reduce CSS size
- Ensured cross-browser compatibility by using iPhone/iPad Simulator to check iOS Safari, VirtualBox to check in Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, 10 and 9, as well as desktop Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- Advised client when Google Analytics indicated that Internet Explorer 8 was no longer worth supporting (less than 1% usage)
- Wrote and maintained full-functionality responsive design phone and tablet designs, using media queries, viewport meta tags, and responsive image techniques
- Frequently chosen to retrofit sites to responsive design, as my boss and my co-workers agree that my CSS knowledge is extensive and up-to-date
AllonHill. PHP Developer. (12/11 — 08/2012).
- Worked on custom system that helped banks perform due diligence
- XUL strongly influenced flexbox and CSS Grid, which are the new standard is how to lay out webpages.
- Wrote elaborate SQL queries to handle complex legal logic
- Investigated and determined how much of jQuery works with XUL, since jQuery is normally used with HTML
IBM. Local Services Administrator & Web Developer. (03/11 — 12/11).
- Worked with on websites to support IBM’s Learning Division
- Technologies : PHP (YII framework), MySQL, CSS, XHTML, Linux
- Also offered technical support to classes in IBM’s Boulder location
- Primary website worked on was a training site: we presented it to teams in Europe, Asia, and America, so internationalization was important.
University of Colorado, Denver, CITT. Web Developer. (02/10 — 03/11).
- Worked on university websites as well as bidding on external websites
- Coded PHP applications interfacing with MySQL and SQL Server in CodeIgniter framework
Computer Science Department, University of New Mexico (UNM). Web Designer. (08/04 — 09/09).
- Responsible for usability testing, visual design, PHP, Smarty, CSS, XHTML & information architecture for a large web site
- Configured departmental Apache webserver
- Also worked on a PHP/MySQL site for department applicants
- Sublime Text, Netbeans, Developer Tools on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Google Analytics, including goals, segment breakdown, event tracking
- Operating systems: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows
- Over 10 years experience with UNIX (Linux, Mac OS X) command line skills, including git, find, ack (a grep replacement), ifconfig, dig, ps, curl, etc
- Apache server software: configure for server side redirects, friendly error pages, page compression, clean URLs using rewrite rules
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Graduated with two Bachelor’s Degrees: English, with a concentration in Professional Writing, and Political Science
- Conferences Attended:
- Future of Web Design
- CSS Dev Conf
- An Event Apart
- Web Design World