While watching The Almighty Johnsons (a well-done urban fantasy set in New Zealand) on Netflix, I have been noticing some expressions. I’m listing my favorite here.
- Shot through — took off (and didn’t come back) Easily my favorite new expression.
- Getting your end away — Having sex — a bit like getting off
- Nut bar — nut job
- Munted — wrecked. Used as a synonym for pissed
- Root (verb) – To have sex. Pretty rude.
- Suck the kumara— endure hard times, lose, kick the bucket – possible origins being in death and thus below ground. A kumara is a sweet potato.
It’s also fun listening to the accent. It is kind of like Australian. Speaking of which, not sure which of these are unique to Kiwis and which are shared with Australians. I’m also trying to avoid any expression that I know are British (like “gutted” for “bummed out” or “pissed” for “wasted” (drunk) )